HM Revenue & Customs is currently contacting eligible individuals regarding the Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) so that they can begin the application process.
You may be eligible for the scheme if:
- Your trading profits are no more than £50,000, either in 2018/19 or on average for the last three years.
- Your trading profits are at least equal to your non-trading income.
- You are self-employed (or a partner in a partnership) and the business has been adversely affected by the Coronavirus.
- Traded in the tax year 2018/19.
- Traded in the 2019/20 tax year and intend to continue trading.
If you receive some of your income via a dividend you may not be eligible for this scheme, but there may be support available via the Government’s other measures, details of which can be found here.
If you do not receive correspondence from HMRC, via email, text or letter, and you believe you may still be eligible you can now check using a new online tool.
We, as agents, cannot make a claim on your behalf, only you as the individual taxpayer can do this.
In order to make a claim, you may need to create your own Government Gateway online account, which can be done as part of the application process here.
If you are eligible and your claim is approved, you should receive your grant payment within six working days.
Grants for this scheme are taxable and have to be declared as income on your 2020/21 self-assessment tax return.
If you have any queries regarding this scheme, please feel free to contact our team.